1 and a quarter cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp ground ginger plus 2 tsp
3 quarter tsp ground cinnamon
Quarter tsp ground cloves
Quarter tsp ground nutmeg
One eighth tsp cardamom
Quarter tsp salt
Half cup Guinness
Three quarter cup black treacle
Half tsp baking soda
2 large eggs at room temp
Three quarter cup granulated sugar
Half cup light brown sugar
Half cup corn oil or any vegetable
2 cups cream cheese frosting
- Grease a pan of your desired size and preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Sieve together all dry ingredients except the baking soda and sugars and set aside
- In a medium sized saucepan, bring the black treacle and Guinness to a boil.
- Once boiled, add in the baking soda and whisk, then immediately take off the heat. The mixture will expand so be careful.
- In a freestanding mixer whisk the eggs and both sugars for 3 minutes until light in colour.
- Slowly drizzle in the oil and keep whisking.
- Reduce the speed and slowly add in the Guinness mixture. Stop mixing and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Return to a low speed and add the dry ingredients in bit by bit.
- Mix together for about half a minute.
- Using a spatula, fold the mixture till well combined.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve.
- Pour mixture into prepared cake pan and bake for 40 minutes.
- Leave to cool and then frost the cake as you please!