The Grasshopper Pie is an American favourite, I know it well through watching Nigella Lawson and her food porn on Food Network. One of her food porn specials was this pie! Her recipe used Liquor though, and I'm not a fan of mixing alcohol with dessert/dinner (I've yet to experience a great combination of the two). This recipe (adapted from the amazing Hummingbird Bakery collection) serves all palettes and is surprisingly easy to make, whether you're a drunk or a bore - both will enjoy!
You will need an average sized (preferably 23cm) tart dish that ejaculates from the bottom for this one.
180g unsalted melted butter
180g mini marshmallows
180ml milk (anything but skimmed)
Half teaspoon peppermint essence
Green food colouring (pour in to your desire, but don't exceed a tablespoon!)
700ml double cream
- Bash the biscuits to a saw dust consistency and coat in the melted butter. Once you have a shiny dark sand, grab the tart dish and with a metal spoon, start to press the mixture into the base.
- Pop in the fridge to set whilst you make the filling.
- In a saucepan, melt the marshmallows together with the milk. Milk can be brought up to the boil very quickly and burns even quicker - leaving you with a foul smell of maltose, so keep the mixture at a fairly low heat!
- Once melted, remove from the heat and add the peppermint essence and green colouring until it looks however green you want it. Then leave to cool.
- Bring 300ml of the cream to soft peaks and fold into the cooled marshmallow mixture.
- Pour the new mixture into the hardened base and then leave this in the fridge to set for 1/2 hours.
- Whip the rest of the cream and delicately add to the top of the pie to create a beautiful finish.