Here at the Hassan household we are DIEHARD short bread fans, so when I came across this elegant biccy over at Poires Au Chocolat, I knew that I needed something similar to fill my council house with buttery, vanilla-ry wafts that were coming from the oven. As Poires mentions, the short bread tasted much better the day after baking, giving the thin little shorty’s time to come into their own, crunchy short selves. Tonight, I am tired – I have traveled the earth and back on every possible tube and train existing in London so I will keep it short. Hope you enjoy my pictures; they were taken in dim 5pm daylight which explains why they are so godamn awful.
Adapted from Poires Au Chocolat Whole Vanilla Bean Biscuits
The Recipe:1 vanilla pod (with or without the seeds)
50g caster sugar
100g unsalted butter, cold
125g plain flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
- Weigh the sugar and salt in the food processor and add a finely chopped vanilla pod in with it.
- With the blade setting, whiz the ingredients together for five plus minutes.
- Sieve the remaining big bits of vanilla out of the vanilla sugar and place back into the processor.
- Add the butter, flour and baking powder and pulse until just incorporated.
- Roll the dough into singular balls.
- Cut out 20 odd squares of baking parchment.
- Place 1 ball onto the baking parchment, followed by another piece of parchment on top.
- Squash the ball flat with the palm of your hand and then using your index finger, thin all round the edges (as if you were making a sugar rose).
- Repeat until you have no dough left, please each biscuit into the fridge to rest for half an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees and bake for 14 minutes.
- Let cool and serve!
Hope everyone had a wonderful Halloween! Love Em xx