I hereby challenge myself not to use the word 'delicious' in any of my future posts from here on out. I, Emine Hassan, grant anyone who reads the evil, malicious and overused word in any of my posts to personally troll/cyber bully me as punishment. Kapeesh?
Now please, drool over these peggy poo cakes and appreciate that the original and delightful (put down those virtual crow bars, its not quite the word!) version that churns out of the parlour like hot cakes - is 1837932873289 times better and 398342938 times likely to be a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT RECIPE. But alas, this was close enough, and my sister did a fantastic job. Actually considering eating five for dinner.
Adapted from Peggy Porschen's Banoffee Cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes (and no less or more!)
200g unsalted butter at room temp
200g caster sugar
1 vanilla pod, or 1 tsp vanilla extract
4 eggs at room temp
200g SR flour
Half a mashed banana
100g plain chocolate,chopped
sugar syrup (serebet)
150g caster sugar
1 tin of dulce de leche (carnations)
half a mashed banana
500g icing sugar
200g cream cheese, at room temp
200g unsalted butter, softened
1 vanilla pod or 1 tsp vanilla extract
|Banoffee cupcakes with a cream cheese frosting|
- Preheat the oven to 170C, or you could do this in ten or so minutes, as the recipe is quite methodical.
- Cream the butter and 1 vanilla pod (if you're using extract please dont add this until after you have added the flour, this will stop the alcohol cooking the eggs) until paler in colour, 2/3 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time into the butter, beating as you go along and the mixture is well combined.
- Add the flour until just incorporated and then fold in the chopped choco.
- Fill each cupcake liner, distributing the batter evenly (this wont be difficult as you'll find yourself short for batter). To get a flat top, only fill the batter two thirds full.
- Bake for 14 minutes - make sure not to open the open door and have a peek - especially during the first 5 minutes!
- Whilst the cupcakes are baking, prepare the sugar syrup. Pour the water, scraped vanilla pod, and the sugar into a medium-small saucepan and let simmer on a medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Set aside.
- Take the cakes out of the oven and place on a wire rack, brush each cake with the syrup and then refrigerate the cakes for an hour. Make sure to cover the cakes, you don't want them to taste like fridge!
- Prepare the frosting. Cream the butter and then gradually add all of the icing sugar, add the vanilla. Plop in the cheese bit by bit till smooth. Refrigerate the frosting as well, whilst the cupcakes are in there.
- For the filling, mash the banana in a small bowl and then add in the caramel, mix together till smooth.
- Take the cakes out of the fridge and using a knife/tiny spoon, cut a small well in the middle of the cake.
- Put the caramel in a piping bag and then pipe it into the middle of the cake until it's filled.
- Frost the cakes with the cream cheese as you desire !
Love Em xx