So here's my second Miette post! Miette Carrot Cupcakes! Carrot cupcakes were my second venture because the recipe included coconut, which interested me and I was eager to taste this concoction! The sponge was literally something else. You had the coconut complimenting the cinnamon, all whilst the corn oil was keeping everything incredibly moist. Fireworks. No ginger, no cloves, just cinnamon - trust me it works! These are being sold on Drysdale Street in NSP Cafe (off Old Street) this week, which is why I wasn't unable to dissect the cupcake so I could show you the inside! Hope you enjoy :)
1 cup all purpose flour/self raising/cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
Half tsp salt
Three quarter cup corn oil
2 large eggs
1 cup carrots
Half cup walnuts
Half cup desiccated coconut
1 cup currents (optional)
Cream Cheese Frosting
1 pound cream cheese
Half cup unsalted butter
1 cup icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line a muffin tray with 12 cupcake cases.
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder/soda and cinnamon in a large bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl (or a freestanding mixer) whisk together the eggs and sugar for 2 minutes.
- Gradually pour in the oil and whisk on high speed for one minute until the mixture emulsifies.
- Now add the dry ingredients in one third at a time until smooth.
- Add the coconut, carrots, walnuts and currents (if you used them) and fold in till well incorporated.
- Using an ice cream scoop, divide the batter into the cupcake cases until each one is two thirds full.
- Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- For the frosting, sieve the icing sugar in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a freestanding mixer, cream butter and icing sugar smooth. then gradually add cream cheese, till you have a smooth frosting.
- Ice as you please!