Thought I’d practise my crazy (shit) icing writing skills, as you can see this was a terrible first attempt – but I thought it’d still be worth sharing the pictures to the blogosphere just so you can see how NOT to ice your cupcakes. Also I ran out of unsalted butter so used margarine in the buttercream. A little tip is to NOT use margarine as butter substitute for frosting, its brilliant in the sponge itself but goes grainy and soft too easily in buttercream!
60g green & blacks cocoa
60g cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
110g caster sugar
1 batch of Vanilla Buttercream (see vanilla cupcake post)
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees and line a muffin tin with cupcake cases.
- Cream the marg and sugar for 1 minute with an electric whisk.
- Add the eggs one at a time and continue to whisk until very light and pale in colour.
- Pour in vanilla extract, sieve in cocoa powder and plop in flour.
- Fold the mixture till just incorporate using a metal spoon.
- Using an ice cream scoop, plop the batter into the cases at two thirds full.
- Bake for 20 minutes straight.
- Ice when cooled!