225g golden caster sugar
200g plain flour
2 & a half tsp baking powder
Half tsp baking soda
50g chopped walnuts plus extra for decorating
4 medium eggs
4 & a half tsp good quality expresso powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
225g unsalted butter
2 & a half tsp expresso powder
1 tbso boiling water
175g unsalted butter
350g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line two 8 inch cake tins with grease.
- Cream together butter and sugar in a freestanding mixer for a few minutes, add eggs one at a time till smooth.
- Chop the walnuts and put aside.
- Add baking powder/soda, expresso powder and vanilla to the mixture until just combined.
- Pour in flour in thirds also till just combined.
- Using a spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl and loosely throw in walnut pieces.
- Divide the batter into two and bake for 25 minutes.
- For the buttercream, cream the butter in a freestanding mixer and gradually add in all of the icing sugar once this is done.
- Mix the expresso powder into the boiling water and gradually pour into buttercream.
- Once the cake has cooled, decorate as you please!