Reese's peanut butter cup before you objectify! I adapted Nigella Lawson's Devil's Food Cake recipe for the sponge, and whipped up my very own peanut buttercream for the topping, please be warned that it is VERY heavy on the palette.The Recipe:
Half tsp baking powder
Half tsp bicarb of soda
50g good quality cocoa powder
2 tsp chocolate liquor
250ml boiling water
2 tsp vanilla extract
100g dark muscovado sugar
125g stork margarine
250g caster sugar
225g all purpose flour (or plain)
1 whole tub of smooth peanut butter, aprox 300g
1 tsp vanilla extract
500g icing sugar
200g unsalted butter at room temp
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line 1 muffin tray.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, muscovado, liquor and boiling water and set aside.
- In a freestanding mixer, begin to whisk the margarine and sugar until light, and slowly add in each egg.
- Whilst the ingredients are mixing, pour in the vanilla extract.
- Now reduce the speed and throw in flour, baking powder and bicarb and mix lightly to incorporate air.
- Lastly pour in the chocolate mixture and beat sparingly till the mixture is consistently dark in colour.
- Fill your cupcake liners with chocolatey goodness and bake for 18 minutes.
- For the frosting - whisk the butter and vanilla till smooth and add the icing bit by bit till thick.
- Now slowly add the tub of peanut butter tbsp at a time, and continue to add until you get your desired flavour.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, ice them as you like!