This must be my 4th post in the last week…Easter holidays, or any other holiday for that matter always turns me into a bum. Whilst I should be actively searching for work experience and/or work, I spend my days (and student loan) baking things like this tangy carrot cake and then eating one slice and throwing it in the bin (I have the only sweet tooth in my family, either that or I’m in denial about how inept my baking is). Also my boyfriend is in Florida for 10 days so you can only imagine how many more blog posts will arrive this coming weekend!
So this cake…I mixed things up a lot with the recipe, I literally used half the Primrose Bakery recipe and half the Hummingbird recipe. For example I used corn oil from Primrose but plain flour from Hummingbird. The original (first half) recipe called for pecans, I used walnuts because pecans have a maple-like soft sugary taste which I felt wouldn’t go well with 420g of sugar, so walnuts it was! I also got rid of a few things like salt and grated ginger. Enjoy!uHhsssssdds
350ml corn oil
420g golden caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarb of soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
450g grated carrots
70g chopped walnuts
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
Half tsp cloves
500g plain flour
3 large eggs
Cream Cheese Topping:
100g unsalted butter
600g icing sugar
1 tsp orange zest
250g cream cheese
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees and line 3 sandwich tins with oil and baking parchment.
- In a large bowl mix together eggs, sugar, carrots, vanilla, buttermilk and oil for about 1 minute till well combined.
- In a seperate bowl sift together all of the dry ingredients.
- Then, one third at a times gradually add the dry mixture to the wet using a wooden spoon.
- Mix till just incorporated then add the walnuts.
- Divide the batter into the 3 tins and place in the preheated oven for half an hour or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Once the cakes are out, set aside to cool and begin to make the frosting.
- Cream the butter with the sieved icing sugar and then gradually add the cream cheese frosting and zest.
- Decorate as you please!
|Sugarflair Holly Green Leaf|